Friday, December 31, 2010

Simple Small Quilts by Andra

  I have decided that this year, in addition to all of my UFOs I would like to focus on making little quilts.  These quilts will be small -as in doll size, not as in Insane Jane size.  I am not that brave yet.

When I make a small quilt where I have created the pattern myself, I will offer it to you in a tutorial.  Some months I won't be using my own pattern but I will share with you where the pattern is from.  I would love for you all to join me in creating these little quilts to decorate your home or to give as gifts.

In reviewing my finished projects for 2010, I noticed that most of the quilts I made were for gifts and did not really reflect my individual preferences but were designed with others in mind-which I love to do!  For my small quilts, I will be focusing on designing and creating for my own home.  I prefer the very traditional, civil war era reproduction fabrics and designs.  Of course, you may use any fabrics you choose.  These designs will lend themselves to any and all types of fabrics.

So The first small quilt of 2011 is called "January Jumble".  I started with 11 to 12 different strips in coordinating colors.  I chose navy blue, cranberry red, brown, rust, cream, and gold.
The quilt I made is about 24" by 28".  I used 2.5" wide strips from a jelly roll I had in my stash.  If you want your quilt to be smaller, cut your strips 2" wide or even 1.5" wide and adjust all other measurements accordingly.

I cut these strips into 2.5" squares and started sewing them together, making sure no two alike were sewn to each other, but basically picking them up randomly.  You need 10 rows with 8 squares in each row.  Then you also need four four-patches with these same squares.  That is a total of 96 squares.

These are my four patches for the corners of my small quilt.

Here is my quilt center-the 10 rows of 8 squares.  The above four patches will go in the corners of the quilt as I am adding the border which is to be cut at 4.5"wide.  I auditioned two borders- a blue pattern on antique cream and a red pattern on cream.

And, the winner was...
The blue on antique cream.
First add the side borders 4.5" wide by the length of the quilt center which should be 20.5".

Then cut the border for the top and bottom so that you can add the 4 patches to the corners.
Border length for top and bottom is 16.5" by 4.5"
Sew a 4 patch to each and and then sew that to the top and bottom of the quilt.

TAA DAAA!
In about half an hour, you have this lovely flimsy top.  If you chose to use my measurements, your top is about 24" by 28".







This Simple Small quilt was so simple and quick and lovely that I decided to make a companion for it. 
I had plenty of 2.5" squares left over and just kept sewing them into 4 patches...
Then I pulled out what was left of my border fabric from above and cut out 18 squares that measured 4.5" by 4.5" and sewed them together with the 4 patches into a checkerboard pattern.

And here is my companion checkerboard 4 patch beside my January Jumble. 

I still have not decided whether or not I want to commit myself  my mother to hand quilting these Simple Small Quilts.  But, that border is calling our for a lovely traditional motif of some sort...


These will be perfect for adding to my staircase quilt collection once they are all quilted up.  I hope you love them and give them a try.  I would love to see what you create!


Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. What a great quilt. Hard to believe how quickly you got it done. Way to use up those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love little quilts, they decorate my house. Yours is so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive