Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Christmas in July Quilt Along Step 1

First you need to cut your squares
at 10 1/2 by 10 1/2. 
For every 3 green squares you need 3 backgrounds-sorry I only have one pictured.  This will make 3 blocks with similar but not identical trees. 



You will stack these squares and cut them into thirds

NOTE: they do not need to be equal thirds-the wonkier the better!

Then you need to make the cuts that will distinguish your background from your tree. 

NOTE: cut each so that the bottom is wider than the top of the section below it so that your trees aren't just triangles.

Separate your stacks now so that you have backgrounds with trees and then the opposite in a different stack. 

I take this stack (the one on the left) and recut the pieces into usable squares. 2 to 2 1/2 inches for later projects.

This leaves the stack on the right for you to start sewing together. 

First you need to rearrange the greens so that you have 3 different greens for each block-but make sure you keep the backgrounds the same!

AND that is where my camera batteries died and now that I have new batteries, I am out of time so, I will post pictures of the finished tree blocks as soon as I get back from daughter's piano lesson. 

You need 18 trees blocks for the 70 X 70 lap quilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive