Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday Mystery Fabric Selection



Okay everyone, I chose my tropical prints to use in this quilt.  It will be a great way to showcase them.  Then you need to choose tone on tone prints to match them.  (I think I am actually going to have to go to the fabric store to pick up some more variety).  Here is what I have so far.  You can squeeze a full border out of 1 fat quarter with some creative piecing but really full width cuts will work better.

The focus fabrics (tropicals) get cut into 7" squares.
Then you will need the following for each block border (tone on tone):
1 strip 4.5" by 7"
2 strips 4.5" by 11"
1 strip 4.5" by 15"
(these are all measurements I chose myself.  I have no idea what they used in this group where I got the idea.)

Don't forget to keep your trimmings from both for the border...

See  Step 1 below
These strips get sewn onto the center in a log cabin fashion.  First the 7"one. then the two 11" ones and finally the 15" one so that they frame the center square.  You will need to iron in between each strip.
Your blocks will then look like this.

You do not want all of your alike squares to be bordered in the same fabric or colors.  use as much variety in the tone on tones as is possible.
If you want a lap size quilt, make about 20 blocks.  If you want a twin, make about 30 etc.

But you are far from finished, this is only step one...



I am thinking that mine might be called Tahiti in December...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive